Monday, March 7, 2011

CIAA....I feel like I'm getting old

And so yet another CIAA weekend concludes and I have yet to experience the "Hoopla" on the weekends festivities. As I hear mixed reviews from the veterans and the excitement of the neophytes. The veterans some say "man it's not all what people talk about" or "its strait" (which is not an endearing sign). All the neo's have marked this off on their calendars and took days off to partake in the eventful weekend and the novel idea of "Day Parties". However every year at this juncture I find myself saying....I'm going to go then upon the arrival of the week I say man I'm too damn old, too damn married, and too damn much in fatherhood, funny yes but its the truth. I feel like I will look like a Dad sitting there around about bunch of "grasshoppers" looking at them and picking out the one's that will have that "I'm not drinking" anymore prayer tomorrow morning. I don't want to be that cat that's sitting there looking like I'm hunting some innocent young calf hahahahaha nor getting the screw face by some chic my age because she feel like she to grown to be looked at (why the hell are you here fuh?). The paradox of social parity makes attending this weekends attendance for me even more challenging. Like I somehow see CIAA as the ultimate party weekend (a la BLUE N WHITE) of my early 20's when I had no responsibilities and could "wild out". Now I envision myself standing at a bar or sitting down looking at the over abundance of dudes tryna to holla at some gull who has forgotten who she really is because she reinvented herself for CIAA or the other cats balling out of control swiping they "debt" cards to show that they got it when in most cases they have overdraft protection (meaning they can swipe all they want and the bank will cover it but they account will be negative). Then there is the thought of spending time to spend time to wait in line and then get to the door and find out that I have to sign over my mortgage to get in. Then when I do get in the idea or even the concept of getting a respectable drank will take me just as long as it did when I got in. The artful marketing strategy to have "celebrities" come and sit somewhere so far out of reach that its' pointless to even go to THAT particular party. Besides I am not impressed nor drawn to people who are "celebrities" I actually would rather go the opposite direction of them (that's a whole other issue)....I digress, so at the end of endings I find myself yet again at home chilling feeling comfortable although I know a sociable person like myself would probably have some enjoyment by going I don't feel any inclination to make an effort to go. I feel kinda old because I would certainly rather call my homies up and go to Wild Wangs, Ale House, or some other bar that has "wangs" and draft beer. Maybe it's the signs of the times now that I am in my 30's.

Strange thing is as a event planner and host of a pretty successful Homecoming Weekend I try to make sure my patrons don't feel like they are just a number and that everyone no matter their age feels like they can get something out of it. Although no major event will please everyone I think we do a solid job at trying to adhere to feedback to correct what we missed, because we want each of our people to know we are thoughtful enough to try to change their experience. I don't think you will get a questionnaire after CIAA but hey when it reaches that level I guess who cares cause the same people that complain about the prices, parties, and errthang else will certainly be back next year. With that being said.....I guess I need to go before I hit 35 at least hahahahah to say I went once.

No comments: